LED Light Therapy is the one skin treatment that I do consistently (normally once a week at The Light Salon) or using their at-home Boost LED devices for when I’m travelling or not able to get out. It’s the one at-home treatment tool that I use consistently and always recommend as a worthwhile investment. I truly believe it works and you will see long-term skin benefits. It is also the one tool that I get asked about the most! As it is an investment, I wanted to offer you an in-depth guide on this brilliant treatment tool so you can make a fully informed decision.
WHAT IS LED LIGHT THERAPY?
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. The LED lights give out different wavelengths of light to stimulate and energise skin cells. It is a completely safe, painless light that doesn’t feel harsh or strong like sunlight. It’s a non-invasive treatment that directly supports the core processes of your skin cells. The lights are installed inside The Light Salon’s Boost LED devices, made from medical grade silicone, to bring this treatment conveniently into our homes (or suitcases when we travel). They deliver salon strength red and near-infrared wavelengths to help even skin tone and improve hydration. In the salon, you can also get other wavelengths of light such as blue (which specifically targets the skin’s surface to tackle acne).
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LED LIGHT THERAPY?
To have an at-home treatment that’s multi-functional for skin, body and mood (that actually works) is why I love it so much!
The red wavelength light is incredibly anti-inflammatory. It really calms the skin down from most types of inflammation from sun exposure to hyperpigmentation or other environmental factors. Suitable for all skin types including those with concerns of fine lines and wrinkles. It can also work well for chronic skin issues such as rosacea and eczema or even temporary issues like rashes.
The near-infrared wavelengths penetrate the deepest. They work with the red light to stimulate collagen production in our cells, encourage healing and to accelerate skin repair. Together, both red and near-infrared wavelengths are the only ones clinically-proven to improve skin hydration and firmness.
It’s not just for skin. The Boost LED Bib can ease muscle soreness whether induced from exercise, sitting at a desk all day or stress. It can wrap around your neck, shoulders, back or even wrapped around your thigh if you’ve got sore/tense muscles there.
The LED lights trigger cellular and circulatory reactions in our body. This not only helps our skin but can trigger a boost in the hormones that de-stress and calm us. Near-infrared has a balancing effect on cortisol (aka the stress hormone) so to use this for just 10 minutes a day is a major boost. The warm and soothing effect of the light is great in the Winter especially if you struggle with seasonal affective disorder. It’s perfectly safe to keep your eyes open with this mask on too. So, if you want to relax with a book or watch TV whilst it works its magic then go for it!
HOW TO USE
- You always want to apply to clean skin. The Light Salon recommends spritzing with the Cleanse & Recovery Spray beforehand. It offers an effective cleanse to prep the skin before your treatment. You can use this on your face and body.
- Both the Boost LED Mask and Decolletage Bib can be used daily. To reap the benefits of this treatment, 10-20 minutes at least 3-5 days a week is the minimum routine recommended.
- It comes with a rechargeable controller to switch the device on/off. It’s flexible, lightweight and easy to get comfortable with using the straps to secure it on.
- LED light works really well alongside active skincare. So, for a hydration boost, apply a hydrogel mask or thin layer of a cream mask/serum under the Boost LED Mask or Bib or straight afterwards. The Nuori Supreme Moisture Mask works really well for this combination. Or, if you purchase the Bib, it comes with 4 hydrogel masks for your decolletage.
- Keep your skin protected with a good sunscreen, daily.